Sunday, October 25, 2009

Drawing the Line

I have forgotten birthdays, forgone gatherings, denied the existence of group lunches, made up false excuses and turn the opposite direction - all in the name of objectivity and time efficiency. I didn’t use to be so. I used to be able to while away hours, talking about nothing, with no tangible result at the end of it, except maybe a warmed chair. Now that chair is unoccupied, but I have papers and certificates of better academic performance. Also now, if I were to sit in that chair, I) not many will occupy that chair next to me ii) I would fidget in that seat thinking that I’ve got more important things to do.

Should this be so? There seems to exist this very delicate balance between friends and work. In my quest to improve my studies and my knowledge on American politics or ‘serious’ issues such as laws, I have neglected friends and even family. Even though my absence is felt and sometimes even hurt, I do nothing to stop that. I can defend it by saying I’m striving for a greater good. That though this may suck temporarily, I’ll make up for it with better grades and with more information in my head how to talk ‘informedly, and without bias’. On the other hand, I do not want to defend myself. There is no way I can justify not spending more time with my parents and siblings when this could be my last year with them before going overseas. Nor can I justify my paper accomplishment and my ambition to be successful in an occupation to be more important than making the woman that raised me for 18 years, regardless of hardships, happy by just agreeing with all the disagreeable things she might say. Or that friend who sacrificed her own time for me, but I would not accord the same to her.

Where is the middle line drawn between these two extremes?
Where does focusing on goals stop?
How does it fit into making others (but not necessarily, yourself) happy?
When does social obligation compensate for being selfish?

It’s easier to say balance than to actually stand on that trapeze’s rope itself.

Note : Class Dictator takes this opportunity to apologize for any hurt feelings caused by her. She is currently on a caffeine high and yes, she realizes this is her first post here *slaps hand*. I hope you don’t mind sombre, reflective and somewhat philosophical :)

No comments: